Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Score!

I scored a couple of mark-ones, two weekends ago. Not a pair, a couple. Because one is a 928, the other a 930. They had been left to rot in a basement somewhere and they would probably have become archaeological artefacts if I hadn't picked them up. I tend to look at things like these more as a source of spares than something you would clean up and use - though you certainly could do that too. Even without these, I would be all set for my BSA. I have a great Mk1 with all sorts of trick parts, yet to be unveiled. This is icing on the cake. I opened them up and realised they hadn't been taken apart or messed with too much. The floats are good and that in and of itself is worth the trouble. A few float bowl screws, you can *never* have too many of those, trust me. The mounting flange on the 928 is visibly warped and that's the end of that carb. No point trying to fix it really. Both float bowls are useable: they're the early type (which I prefer, to be honest) without the additional plug that lets you access the main jet without having to remove the whole float bowl (and banjo bolt). I prefer those because they allow more room to access the banjo bolt, and because they don't offer a potential source of leakage, from the extra plug. They carried the original nylon needle valves, always a dead giveaway that a carb hasn't been molested.
More on these bits soon...


0 comments:

Post a Comment