Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Unorthodox mechanical surgery.

Remember that damaged engine mounting bolt that I had to replace, but that would have required dismantling the entire primary chaincase and all the wonders it contains? Well, I thought I'm buggered if I have to do that, and so, as I thought I would, I got creative.
Inspired by a surgical technique known as maxillary antrostomy (don't google it, it's super gross), I drilled an opening in the inner chaincase directly in line with the offending bolt, and was thus able to extract it, then replace it with a new one.

I've also replaced the nut for the long support stud at the centre of the primary case, and in both cases I'm considering securing them with some lockwire. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on these!
During the procedure, the engine was supported on a jack. Now, if only alluminium could heal itself like bone and tissue do...
Many thanks to Witold, who consulted on the procedure.


Post a Comment