Sunday, January 4, 2015

Gathering momentum?

I'm hoping the two small things I managed to do the other day are prelude to more substantial and pressing matters that need attending in the garage.
The exhausts are back on the Rising Star, as is the carburetter. The latter is a bit of a long story, but suffice to say that the bike should either be fitted with a 1" Monobloc, or a 626 Concentric. I had fitted a 930 Concentric that I had built up from assorted Amal parts I had lying around, but it was replaced with a 32mm item, far too large for a standard engine, and not my choice (but we won't get into that...).
I gave that 32mm to Gianluca for his Dominator, and have refitted "my" 30mm one back, which I'm sure will work just fine.

There is one more job left on the bike, and it's a fairly big one: the fuel tank mounting tab at the rear of the tank broke off because of vibration. That is itself due to the fact that the fixing point on the frame was not done in the smartest possible way and needs to be redone. In the photo below you can see the fuel tank has simply collapsed at the back, and the tab is only held on by that brass nut.
As it is now, there is a bolt that was welded into the frame, which is crude and just sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, there is a thick rubber washer to absorb some vibration, but only vertically, which was clearly not enough.
The proper way to do it will be to cut off the bolt, drill into the frame again and weld a threaded bung, like this, which is what we should have done in the first place. I'll do you one better actually, and fit a rubber silent block, so vibration is dampened both vertically and laterally. Of course it could be years before I get around to it, but in the meantime I'm excited about my chopper all over again, and that's good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment