Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A home away from home.

One of the best things about riding motorcycles like I do (slow and with a destination in mind) is camping.

Some kids never grow out of the sense of adventure they first got when they turned a cardboard box into a spaceship, a submarine, or a secret hideout.
Then come the first nights camping in the backyard, very exciting, and your BMX is never too far away.
I'm still doing that, except that my backyard is 60 miles long and my BMX has morphed into a Norton Commando.

You may have already seen the photo below, or something similar, and I don't think it's hard to understand the appeal; after all, we like motocamping because we appreciate minimalism and without going to the extremes that ultralight backpackers go to (hats off to them), sometimes even a tent feels like a bit too much.

In summer, with near-certainty of fair weather and warm nights, a tent is often overkill, so I've sometimes used just a tarp or a poncho tied to the bike, as I did last year.

While that worked perfectly well, it was a little untidy and a bit too much on the gypsy side. So, I've thought about it and since what I want isn't ready-made, I went and did it myself.
Well, when I say that "I" did it, I really did nothing; my sister got the Singer out and very expertly built the whole thing herself!

Time to go test this, Pathfinder 2 is just around the corner...


0 comments:

Post a Comment