Thursday, September 26, 2013

Walking on eggshells.

Before I whack the throttle open on the newly converted 1200 Sportster engine and unleash the staggering amount of tarmac-shredding torque, I've given myself 1.000 kms for walking on eggshells.
So far, it all looks promising. It is incredibly difficult to resist the temptation to just go for it, but I know that being careful now will pay off in the long run. I'm not exactly crawling either, I just try to let the engine find its footing in every gear, keeping it in that sweet spot where it's neither straining nor getting close to stalling. Day in, day out, for about 30 or 40 kms each time seems to be doing the trick.
It starts easily, idles well and shows no hesitation when running. There is sometimes a little bit of smoke just after I come to a stop, but after the aforementioned 1.000 kms I'll take a closer look at the carburetter and see if it needs re-jetting or any other adjustment.
There's a lot of throttle I'm not using, and it feels like there's plenty of fun in there, just waiting to be let loose...


0 comments:

Post a Comment