Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Some maintenance and meditation.

I finally had a rare moment to go wrench on the Fastback; the list of things to do was, and remains, quite long but such is the reality of owning a classic bike: there's always stuff to do.
For the sake of clarity, it's not that "there's always stuff to do" because these bikes are unreliable, but because they are very... communicative. That is to say, it's very easy to become in tune with the machine and figure out the areas that can and should be improved. For example, my Commando wants a slightly looser Isolastic setting and possibly thinner oil in the front forks (the famous Roadholder!)

I was working on the clutch and front brake levers, and as I looked closely at all the non-standard parts a thought occurred and it was this:
When I think about it, I can't deny that my Norton is a bit of a bitza, there's no doubt about it.
We're not quite in ship-of-Theseus territory here, but getting close: while the frame left the factory together with the other parts listed below[*], pretty much everything else on the bike was replaced at one stage or another, which sounds like utter madness and was certainly not cheap.

Other Norton owners, however, may think this is totally normal. Some of the modifications I've made (alloy cylinder block, belt drive, aluminium rims and mudguard, rearsets), also made this about 10Kg lighter than a stock Commando. Not bad for an unintentional weight-loss program.

And the result is a great motorcycle that's cool like the other side of the pillow and fun to ride, and I don't really care that much that it is cobbled together as opposed to a pristine 100% original.

Out of the engine, all that's left of the original parts is the crankshaft, conrods, oil pump, (crankshaft pinion, intermediate and camshaft sprockets,) timing cover, rockers, pushrods and the outer primary cover. Everything else is new. Nuts huh?

The comforting thing to take away from this, especially for any would-be Norton owners who maybe have just the one project (therefore more justified in terms of expenditure) is that even a real basket case can yield a great bike.

But the important thing is, and I cannot overemphasize this, you need to get stuck in and get the f--- on with it, otherwise it'll be a long journey standing still.

Sure it will take time and money, but parts availability is probably the best of any vintage motorcycle, so you will be back on the road enjoying all that torque and that amazing sound.

After getting a few things done, I went for a short ride, though long enough to get the engine to temperature. Once back at the Monolith I quickly removed the tank and went about re-torquing the head and setting the valve clearance.  All is as it should, I'll keep an eye on this from time to time, but it seems ok now.

I've used the usual silicone sealant to prevent oil leaks/seepages, particularly at the rear of cylinder 2 where the oil return tunnel is, though I have a feeling that as long as you ride the bike like it's meant to be, that spot will always seep (I really can't call it a leak). And I'm not going to worry about it any more than I would worry about sweat on the back of a thoroughbred horse.

[*]
1971 original parts
frame
swingarm
Z-plates
gearbox
clutch diaphragm spring
clutch centre
clutch pressure plate
clutch plain plates
outer primary cover
fork sliders and damper tubes
yokes
clocks
taillight
fuel tank
fastback tail
rear hub
oil tank
battery carrier
rear mudguard

0 comments:

Post a Comment