Sunday, August 12, 2018

Music to my ears.

Although the early PR style exhaust system looks really cool, I have decided to switch to a regular peashooter set-up to change the exhaust note from the current sonic sledgehammer to the unmistakable Norton drone, and to (hopefully) even out back-pressure and carburation.

These are the iconic "peashooter" silencers, obviously a brand new reproduction, but a very high-quality one at that.
They are of stainless steel construction, by Armour Motor Products; we have used their exhaust systems on a good few bikes in the past (BMWs, Morini, Norton, BSAs, Triumph, etc.) and they have all been excellent.

This time around it is no different: the finish is absolutely flawless and it goes beyond them being nice and shiny.

Fitting the new silencers was so easy I couldn't believe it, everything lined up exactly right, no need for "fettling", no need to bend or twist parts into place... what a novelty!
Well, at least that much was true for one silencer, the other had one of the welds protruding just enough to interfere with the exhaust pipe:

Not a huge problem, although it did take some time smoothing out with a rotary tool and a grinding stone.

Here's something really neat: you see the retaining clip in the photo above to secure the silencer onto the exhaust pipe? That itself is made with two bungs carefully welded to the silencer, and someone has been paying attention to details, because they have been purposefully placed so as to be completely out of sight, yet still easy to reach, once the silencer is in position on the bike.

Swapping the silencers on my Commando has given it a level of refinement that I now realize had been missing all this time; with the previous silencers it was a raucous, unruly vandal. Fun, but a bit over the top and definitely challenging on long trips. The Armour silencers are so well made that they manage to sound proper and... dignified, while still being plenty loud, just not obnoxious.
I'll have to wait until I can go out riding again before I can tell you if there's any difference in power, though I doubt it would be discernible without a dyno.

One last thing: seeing the silencers staggered like this makes me think that I really ought to get myself a Norton Commando 'S', wouldn't you agree?


0 comments:

Post a Comment