Saturday, March 6, 2021

An unexpected triumph.

It had been two thousand eight hundred and sixty-four days since I last rode this motorcycle.

Nearly eight years. 

Ninety-four goddamn months.

The world has changed a lot in that time and it's fair to say I had completely forgotten what this motorcycle feels like.

A few years ago (again, years, it's always years) I had foolishly thought that the time had come to get this back on the road, and I spent some time checking fasteners, fluids and tire pressure, but alas I didn't get to ride it.

After that, again, a long time ago, my dad and I had gone over several things on this bike, as you can read over here. Everything worked, but there was one thing that I doubted and needed to double check, namely the charging system. 

So, recently, with a simple multimeter (remember this is a 6v system), I checked the charge at the battery with the engine running and got readings well above 7v, so I'd say the alternator is doing its job. The rectifier is the original Lucas component and it never inspired great confidence as the fins seem to be loose and barely held together by the mounting bolt. Fearing that it could have been damaged, I had already acquired a solid state modern replacement that is now standing by in the spares kit. That said, having performed all the various tests as outlined in the workshop manual (and made infinitely clearer at this website), the rectifier seems to be working as expected, with consistent readings of current flowing one way but not the other. For the time being I'm going to leave it alone, and I'll have the replacement with me should the Lucas unit fail.

So with the electrics checked, there is nothing else to do but to ride this beauty.

Above: the iconic layout found on late-50s Triumph motorcycles. There are so many design elements that make these bikes so special: the nacelle, obviously, but also all the various gauges and controls within it; the parcel grid on the tank, and the elaborate tank badges. The swept-back handlebar is also an integral part of that look, and together with the extra long grips, it affords the pilot a very relaxed riding position, albeit one that may take some getting used to, if coming from other handlebars without so much pull-back.
Once you settle in on the comfortable seat, you'll find yourself in what feels like an almost tucked in position (because of that handlebar) even though in actual facts you're still quite upright; there is something streamlined and somewhat art déco about it.
It should be no surprise that, after such a long period of hibernation, the bike would be recalcitrant to start; what should be surprising is that it did start with relatively little fuss and settled into a very healthy idle, picking up revs without hesitation, a crisp note from the exhaust and no smoke or leaks to be found anywhere (alright, except for a minor leak from the kickstart bush, which I discovered after the test ride).
The menacing sky and the Buran, fast-approaching from the north east, meant I had to keep my test ride short, but it was enough to see that all is well, and that the Twenty-one is finally ready for the road. 
Some of the things I noticed were the gearbox, which takes a minuscule amount of pressure to shift gears, the brakes, surprisingly effective, the overall comfort of the ride and the new tires that seem to perform adequately well.
This is a small motorcycle and although it is in good shape (I would go as far as to say it is reliable), I am aware of the fact that it is rather delicate. That's not to say it is flawed in terms of engineering or execution, just that it must be handled with care, and maintenance must always be thorough.
Something else that came to mind as I accelerated through the gears, nearing an indicated top speed of 55mph, is that this could truly be an adventure motorcycle: anyone can jump on one of the brand new behemoths that are so popular these days, and go very far. I doubt many of those riders would consider venturing far from the safe confines of their neighborhood on a 1957 350cc. Triumph. Which is precisely what I'm planning to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment