Tuesday, June 20, 2023

34481-91A (spring)

The engine was still warm when I drained the transmission fluid as soon as I returned to base after my last trip, I needed to figure out what had happened and fast, so I could order parts and get the Sportster ready for the next outing.

Above: the gear lever is temporarily back in place so I can see what's happening when I shift gears. Nothing, apparently, just that weird sluggish movement. We have to go deeper:
Above: this is already with the detent plate removed, I checked to see if its retaining clip (11 in the drawing below) was at fault but there's nothing wrong with it. Same goes for 31 and 33, they're fine.
I also checked the famous drill bit adjustment that I had set not so long ago and that is perfectly fine.
Pulling the shifter out reveals the culprit is indeed a broken spring (30), though luckily it hadn't snapped completely, but rather split along the length, meaning it was hanging on by the thinnest bit of metal, long enough to get me home. Thanks pal, what a trooper you are.
So, with a quick order to W&W Cycles, I can fix this and get back out there.
The new spring has a slightly different bend compared to the original, but is nice and strong and goes on with no trouble.
I readjusted the shifter pawl once again (you really have to if you're going to touch anything around here) and put everything back in place, adjusted the clutch, refilled the transmission fluid and all the fun stuff I did late last year.
A brief test ride not only confirmed proper operation of the shifter with quick, positive, crisp shifts, but was also a lot of fun. What a truly great motorcycle this is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment